Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Fixing problems before thy are


Tuesday, 6 June 2017

Detecting problems before they are

Up to this point, generator checks have consisted of looking at the level of the coolant recovery bottle and the oil dip stick before starting.  Being somewhat of a belt and suspenders type, I wanted to double check the coolant level at the source.  So I reached back to lift the radiator cap and noted the heat exchanger was loose in its saddle mount.  I pulled the top of the sound shield off and found the two worm gear clamps broken.  I will be headed over to the chandlery to get three suitably sized clamps because the box of clamps on board contains nothing big enough.  I would like to find some sort of cushion materiel to go between the saddle and the heat exchanger too.  The concern here is that with the heat exchanger beating up and down in the saddle, its thin wall would eventually rupture with all the attendant catastrophe.

I went over to the boatyard section of this place and ran into Fred, the owner, who cut me off a piece of old firehose which I sliced open to make a pad for the saddle under the heat exchanger.  I bought three clamps (one for spare) large enough to go around the saddle and exchanger and strapped it all back together.  The broken clamps were not old and decrepit looking by any means (although two short ones had been used to make up one big enough to encircle the heat exchanger), and I begin to think they broke from the forces of expansion of the heat exchanger as the generator warmed up.  The break was in the solid stainless steel section midway around the clamp where you would think they were strongest.  I did not really honk down of the new ones, and hopefully the cushioning effect of the firehose will aid in preventing more breaks.
We went to a little unique restaurant called The Bistro on the small town square for our 19th anniversary dinner.

Underway early tomorrow headed for Sumter City park anchorage 56 miles distant.

And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...