Monday, August 7, 2017

More goodies to add to da boat


Monday August 7, 2017

Final equipment installation before resuming the trek

Lucky me – when I went over to the chandlery this morning, I encountered the clerk who I had spoken to about a month ago about ensuring the store remained stocked up with VHF antennas on the off chance I would need one or two.  When I told her I would need to order two, she told me she had two in the back room and was I the guy who had called a month ago about them?  Clearly yesterday’s clerk had not investigated the back room.  I bought them both and after breakfast at the marina café got down to seven hours of labor installing the two antennas, a new AIS-capable VHF radio at the lower helm, a new Camino 108S AIS transponder with NEMA 2000 network.  I removed the old faulty radio from the flying bridge and put the old lower helm radio up there.

Mary spent the afternoon over in Paducah 27 miles away in a quilting shop and visiting the National Quilting Museum.  At 4 PM she called to say we had dinner reservations here in Grand Rivers at the famous Patti’s 1880 Settlement Restaurant.  I just finished the last electrical connection of all my work in time to get showered for dinner, but I did not have time to test any of the equipment.  After dinner, I switched it all on and everything worked!  We now have AIS data at the lower Garmin chart plotter and on my laptop navigation software.  I need one more NEMA 2000 connector to be able to get the data to the Garmin plotter on the flying bridge and will have to have it sent to the owner for him to bring to the boat when we deliver it to him.

We have made the decision to leave here on Wednesday 9 August to attempt a passage of the Mississippi River from Cairo, IL to Grafton, IL above St Louis.

And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...