Saturday, December 26, 2020

Have Truck Will Travel

 

Saturday 26 December 2020 Southport, FL

As seems to be the norm when renting any kind of vehicle, the 10-foot U-Haul van I had ordered was not available due a mechanical problem, and I was issued a 15-foot van in its place, at the cost of the smaller van.  Five feet longer is not just 50% bigger; it is a LOT bigger.  When Frank and I placed all the bulkier and heavier items in the box, we had no need to stack any of them as there was plenty of floor space available.  The van came with a half tank of fuel, meaning I am only required to return half a tank with it.  I immediately ran to Sam’s and filled up taking 35 more gallons.  Big tank.

Now we are going after the checklist with abandon getting those last items packed and loaded.

Driving this monstrosity home, I quickly realized it is NOISY.  Thus, when I got home, I pulled out the two headset intercoms I build for use on our noisy boat and placed them in the truck’s cab.  We may well need them.

Mary has yet to select the sewing items she wants to take along.  Oh, and shoes….  Now I hope we have enough truck!

Scott, the seller called yesterday and arranged for me to call him when we get to Birmingham so that he can meet us at the boat in order to do a quick turn over and swapping out of the big electrical shore power cable adapters. he is keeping his for his next boat.

Weather forecasts in the area of our first few days of operation show relatively mild temperatures with no rain.  We hope to run south quickly to escape any really cold days.

0700 will be COLD tomorrow when we depart Southport for the 371-mile trip hoping to get to Rogersville, AL before dark.

And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...