Monday, January 11, 2021

Maximum frustration

 

Sunday 10 January 2021 Tensaw River Anchorage

I am not sure why, but the lowest outdoor temperatures we have been seeing at night are quite a bit higher than the forecasted temps, while the daytime temps seem to match up fairly well.  Our lowest temp last night was 39F as opposed to the drastic landside forecast of 25F.  Must be the water moderating our local conditions.

Today our fabulous lock luck failed in the most spectacular fashion.

I got up at 0400 this morning at Bobby’s Fish Camp and over a period of almost an hour, I tried calling the Coffeeville lock just three miles downstream from us.  There was no tug traffic going by us toward or from the lock, and the VHF radio was dead on both channel 16 and 14.  With no success on the phone, I finally resorted to the radio at 0500, starting on channel 16 shifting to 14.  I asked the person who answered the call what our prospects were for a passage of the lock within a short time period.  His laconic and extremely weak strength response was simply, “Come on down and call when you arrive.”  It was like he was talking to the radio mike from across the room.  EVERY other of the 13 lock masters we contacted throughout this delivery would state that we should either come to the lock because the lock was clear of higher priority traffic or that we would be encountering higher priority traffic and should delay getting underway if we were at a marine nearby.

We arrived shortly thereafter and called the lock operator who then informed us in the same vague voice that we would be having to wait our turn after the tug Brian Boudreaux.  There is absolutely no way this man did not know that tug was on the way and would interfere with our passage.  He should have told me this so I could make up my own mind about getting underway in the pitch dark.  I can only attribute this to one extremely poor attitude or blind incompetence.  In my opinion there was time for him to lock us down and turn the lock around for the tug, but it was the unconcerned attitude of the lock operator which made me angry.

That was bad enough, but as we waited for the Boudreaux to lock through, I asked the lock master if we were next to which he responded, “You are going to have to wait for the next tug.”  Incredulously, there was another tug within a couple of miles he had AGAIN refused to inform us about a tug's presence, for both the tug’s and our safety in the tight confines near the lock.  I told him in very graphic language that I was departing and heading back to the pier at Bobby’s Fish Camp and did not appreciate be literally kept in the dark about what was going on.  This was the most unprofessional lock master I ever encountered in the dozens of lock passages I have made over the last few years.

We spent an hour or so at Bobby’s to have a quick breakfast and to outwait this idiot lock operator’s shift which ended at 0700.  When I overheard the departing comments of the second tug, I called the new duty lock master on the radio and was quite pleased to hear a clear and strong voice telling me good morning and that all was clear for us to lock down, and he was true to his word.  His radio procedure was precise, and his good attitude was one we have come to expect of lock masters.  I am certain that this second lock master would have provided us the information we would have needed to remain in place at Bobby’s until it was safe to run down to the lock not having to avoid two tugs in the dark.  When I complained about his predecessor, he promptly gave me the name of the supervisor to whom I spoke the next morning and to whom I forwarded the above comments.

Once clear of the awful lock experience, we were free at last to travel at our chosen speed without further lock interferences.  However, this two-and-a-half-hour delay quashed all hope of making it to the Dog River Marina by sunset, and we throttled back a few hundred RPM to arrive at this anchorage by 1500.  We noted a lot of evidence of recent flooding damage, and many buoys were missing; so we ran the boat along a track I had laid down on the computer which honored the missing buoys just as if they were still there.  We had a few tugs to overtake of pass on opposite courses, and all went well.

There is no significant traffic through this small river, and there is enough current to keep the boat straight behind its anchor, one of my own Fortress FX37s I brought along. 

We used 105 gallons of gas and ran 78 miles for the day.  Tomorrow, we will run the remaining 54 miles to Dog River Marina and hopefully depart Tuesday for our final 35 mile run to Homeport Marina near Lulu’s (Jimmy Buffet’s sister) Restaurant in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores.


And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...