Saturday, June 24, 2017

It's YOU!!


I AM Rich Gano!

 

So back in 2006 when we were up the Tennessee River around Huntsville, a fellow Trawler email List member heard me calling to the marina on the radio using the Calypso’s call.  It was mike Sullivan and wife Pat who quickly retrieved their anchor and came into the marina to meet us.  We had a nice visit and invited them over for waffles the next morning – it was our only face-to-face meeting.  They were completely enamored of our small waffle maker that we gave them a spare one we just happened to have aboard.  Over the years since, on the odd occasion we email each other directly, one or the other of us asks how the waffles are.  Mike got wind of our being in this area and said he would be rolling by here delivering his new-to-him boat to Knoxville.  He was not planning on stopping here because he needed to get his crewman back to work on Monday and needed to make a lot of time.

Today, I was sitting in the marina office to get some decent wifi, and some boat called in with an engine casualty and said he was coming in on one engine.  I did not hear all the radio conversation, but the marina staff were concerned about the boat making it into a safe landing in part because they were understaffed.  I volunteered to help out over at a nice long easy-to-approach pier across from where Pathfinder is moored.  One other dockhand and I helped the boat get moored, and I hung around to chat with the owner about his engine woes but never aw the name of the boat on the stern.  I ended up down in the engine room looking around for him and found the trouble was water in his fuel as evidenced by Racor filter bowls o that engine being full of water.  At one point as I was dispensing invaluable advice I felt it incumbent on me to mention that I did not work for the marina and that I was just passing through taking this trawler to Lake Michigan.  At this point, the owner said, “Are you with Rich Gano?” to which I replied, “I AM Rich Gano!”  Mike Sullivan and I just did not recognize each other after a one day acquaintance 11 years ago!

Mary and I checked out the marina van and took Mike and his crewman to dinner.  Poor Mile is going to have to leave the boat here and go home and handle the dewatering of his fuel system by the boat works here at long distance.

 Owner Ken emailed me with some questions about adding AIS to the boat today, and it is apparent that he may be getting ready t send one here for me to install.  We did not see the new voltage regulator today in the mail; so maybe Monday.  Then it will be a challenge to get the boat works to install it so Mary an I can go home for a bit.

And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...