Saturday, August 5, 2017

Back aboard in Green Turtle Bay Marina, Grand Rivers, KY


Saturday, August 5, 2017


Mary and I loaded up our pickup truck yesterday and drove to Birmingham where we spent the night in a motel in order to visit with Pam Parsons the daughter of my great and good but sadly deceased friends Hank and Ruth and Stanford Skinner.  This morning we once again braved the craziness known as interstate highway diving.  I must say that I would feel ever so much safer aboard a boat dodging monster tows in a lightning storm at night on a narrow river!  Those people out there on the crowded interstates are trying to kill you!

We arrived here in Green Turtle Bay Marina in grand Rivers at 1600 today to find the Pathfinder under a covered slip WAY around the marina cover such that one is required to depart the main business area of the marina, and backtrack through Grand Rivers and out the south side of town to circle around to pier 12.  The pier and marina office/business area are within sight of each other about several hundred yards apart, but the trip between then by road is several miles long.  Once we got parked, we discovered that we were about fifty feet above the water level on the side of a hill.  It took us both three trips back and forth between the truck and the boat with two capacious dock carts to load all the stuff from the truck onto the boat.

After a dinner at the marina Yacht club, yes several miles around Robin Hood’s barn, we returned t the boat where I finished up installing the overhauled alternator with new vee-belt about 10:30 PM.  Tomorrow I will attack the task of removing the old injectors from the Onan generator and installed the overhauled pair I brought with us.  Then a sea trial will be in order to assure all Is well with the alternator and the charging system.

At some point after the engine room fun, I will be installing the new AIS transponder and AIS-capable VHF radio the owner had me order for him.  I check them out at home to ensure I had all the NMEA 2000 network parts to connect the AIS to the two Garmin chart plotters.  I think it will be slick system and not too tough to install.

With our own vehicle and no more two-hour limit as imposed by the marina for their courtesy van, Mary is FREE and expects to make at least one trip to Paducah, about 30 miles away to see the National Quilt Museum and to visit a quilt store.  She is trying to entice me to go along by telling me about a Civil War museum and other things that may be of interest to me, but I am thinking the boat work will take priority.

And fini for the Miss Patricia

  Thursday 14 January 2021 Southport, FL We were underway at 0615 from an entirely peaceful night with no wind after sunset with just enough...